This is the second time we are trying this variety of ridge gourd in aquaponics. First time we tried in a smaller growbed, but it didn’t do well. Probably the growing space was not sufficient given that ridge gourd is a pretty aggressive creeper. This time we left the plant all alone in a bit bigger aquaponic growbed and the results are encouraging.
Cabbage and cauliflower are two of the most resilient plants that we have seen doing well in aquaponics. However, today we were taken by surprise to find out that one of our cabbage plants (and a young cabbage 😦 ) is eaten almost fully by some pests.
Yet to do a search on the Internet but any idea what these are and what would be an organic method to control them?
Luckily two other cabbage plants are not affected much. So I removed the infected plant from the growbed and washed the other two plants.
Planted turmeric and ginger about four months ago in a fibre container (reuse of the bottom part of a broken water tank). We originally used it as a fish tank for baby fish but later converted it for growing plants in soil.
We tried an interim harvest of ginger and turmeric about a month ago and it turned out to be premature. We later learned that ginger leaves will turn yellow/brown and stem will fall over when it is ready to be harvested. Turmeric is also the same except that it will also flower when it ready.
We had two types of turmeric, one is intensity flavorful and almost orange in color. The other one is almost bland in flavor and color and almost looks like ginger. We actually thought it is ginger until we noticed that it smells like turmeric! 🙂
We have a few banana plants on our rooftop grown in half cut drums (in soil, not aquaponic). We have been growing banana plants this way for a couple of years now. Results obviously are not anywhere close to the ones grown on the ground. But it is fun to see some banana plants on the rooftop and even more exciting when smaller version of bananas show up.
We were forced to harvest one today. The plant was almost dead over the last one week and banana was starting to turn brown. I think we overfed the plant towards the end with aquaponic waste that came from our last growbed cleanup.
I always have been wanting to try a banana plant in aquaponics. Well, another item in my never ending aquaponic wishlist. 🙂
It’s been ages since I made a post! Things have been a bit slow and rooftop has been a mess due to the rain. But the aquaponics systems have been running fine, although slow we have been harvesting one thing or the other most of the days.
Here is a bottlegourd that we just harvested. This is part of an experiment we did with reducing grow media. Will post more on that separately.
We are attending a farmer’s meet today that focuses on seed sharing and networking. We have a pretty good harvest of mint leaves and roots from our aquaponic growbeds for sharing at the meet.
Looking forward to it! 🙂
Aquaponics Mint harvest for sharing at the KTG farmers’ meet
Ridge gourd and eggplant (brinjal) from aquaponics and spinach from a container on rooftop 🙂
Harvest today – Eggplant (brinjal / Vazhuthnanga) / Ridge gourd (peechinga) / Spinach (Palak) / curry leaves