Aquaponics – Setting up a new system

I just got a new aquaponic system setup today. 🙂

We have a 5 ft tall metallic stand on our roof top for keeping a back-up water tank for our home water supply. I utilized the bottom of this stand for setting up a fish tank. Metallic sheets of about two feet height were welded between the four legs. Then used a polyethylene sheet as the lining. This should hold about 500 litres of water.
image
image
image

Added two growbeds to the system. One is a small new growbed made from a used blue barrel. Second one is a reuse of a similar sized old growbed that was connected to another system earlier. These together would give only about 6-7 sq ft of grow space, which is about two thirds of the capacity what this fish tank can support. I will need to add one more growbed of similar size soon.

image

image

Growbeds are kept very close to the fish tank so that plumbing for getting water to the growbeds is easy.

This system will keep constant water  level in the fish tank and for now I am keeping the growbeds in constant flood mode, meaning growbeds will always have water two inches below the surface. I have kept a 2000L/hr (30W) pump in a common sump tank for pumping water back into the fish tank.

I temporarily stopped an existing small system for maintenance 🙂 and moved 10 or 12 tilapia into the new tank. Fish are looking happy.  🙂
image

image

I plan to plant long beans, cucumber and may be a melon plant (experiment) on these grow beds.

I’ll keep the system running for a couple of days before planting, just to make sure everything is running fine. Will keep the progress posted. 🙂

 

Advertisements

Aquaponics – Redoing an old growbed

Finally it’s happening! I have been wanting to clean up the media in one of my older growbeds and convert it from constant flood into a flood and drain system. Also wanted to take my hybrid experiment to the next level.

I got external help for cleaning the grow media as it is a labour intensive activity  (yah, I am lazy 🙂 )

image

I had him clean the gravel and leave it outside of the growbed for the time being.

image

The plastic inside growbed tank (it’s an IBC) is already starting to break so I have put in a polyethylene lining inside the tank, so that hopefully I won’t have to worry about this system for at least another year.

image

image

We are running short of water supply over the last couple of days so I have kept the bed in half done state but in shape to keep the water filtered for the fish.

image

I have a couple of containers getting ready for planting.

image

I hope to get this system fully functional over the weekend. More coming.

Aquaponics – Quick update

A lot of hard work is going into setting up a new growbed that will be powered by the fish tank under the chicken enclosure (“three in one” I posted earlier).

Since this system is some what like a new design, challenges are expected and working through those now. Everything is looking good, except that the syphon is not working properly due to the lack of height difference between the growbed and sump tank. However it will work fine in a constant flood configuration. I’ll post more on these different systems and how to set those up once I have the current system up and running.

image

New growbed being setup

On the plants side, no pest challenges since the last snake gourd attack (not that I am loking for one 🙂 ). Snake gourd looks like is slowly getting back to life and starting to have flowers again.