Aquaponics – Redoing an old growbed

Finally it’s happening! I have been wanting to clean up the media in one of my older growbeds and convert it from constant flood into a flood and drain system. Also wanted to take my hybrid experiment to the next level.

I got external help for cleaning the grow media as it is a labour intensive activity  (yah, I am lazy 🙂 )

image

I had him clean the gravel and leave it outside of the growbed for the time being.

image

The plastic inside growbed tank (it’s an IBC) is already starting to break so I have put in a polyethylene lining inside the tank, so that hopefully I won’t have to worry about this system for at least another year.

image

image

We are running short of water supply over the last couple of days so I have kept the bed in half done state but in shape to keep the water filtered for the fish.

image

I have a couple of containers getting ready for planting.

image

I hope to get this system fully functional over the weekend. More coming.