Ridge gourd and eggplant (brinjal) from aquaponics and spinach from a container on rooftop 🙂
Last couple of days had been probably the most challenging time we went through since we started aquaponics three years ago.
My wife walked up to one of our fish tanks to feed fish yesterday morning and there were about a dozen dead fish floating in the tank. Some of these were fish we had since over two years. Water pump was not working, so no water circulation. Water quality looked terrible, almost coffee brown.
Occasionally we find a dead fish in the tank, which is normal in any system and we usually toss it out for the cats and birds. But now we have too much fish to throw out, about 7kg (15lb) with a couple of them weighing about one kg. So I had to burry them.
The pump went off because we had frequent power outage during night due to a storm. When power was restored, one of the three phases was still out which unfortunately turned out to be the phase the pump was on. We didn’t realize this.
We brought the pump back up and added some fresh water. Water quality looked like is improving and there were no more loss of fish until late evening. Today I walked up to the tank and there were another dozen dead fish, which left with just a handful of smaller fish in the tank.
We had a couple of dead tomato plants on the growbed which I shouldn’t have kept for too long. There are two cabbage plants near the dead tomato plants that are almost ready to be harvested. If I pull out the roots of the tomato plant it will hurt the cabbage plants. So I thought I will wait for another week for cabbage to be ready for harvest. BIG MISTAKE!
The rotten roots have degraded the water quality considerably. This is usually not a big problem as far as water circulation is peoper. Now without the water circulation, ammonia level must have shot up and dissolved oxygen must have dropped, wiping out the fish population 😦
I emptied the fish tank and moved the remaining fish to another tank. Cabbage are now harvested (quite expensive harvest! 😦 ). We are heading for a full growbed clean up before bringing this system back up again. There is a lot of mint, a couple of tomato plants and a brinjal plant left on the growbed, but all that have to go away 😦
I consider this as more of a negligence than just a lesson learned. Very sad!
Last year we had a couple of KG of harvest. This year it seems to be not as much, may be due to the hot weather. But we are happy with any that we can get. It is very sweet and delicious. Kids love it!
For a change, this is not from aquaponics :-), rather from good old soil in a container on our roof top…
Last year we had excellent harvest of Ash Gourd, 20+ kg (40+ lbs), all from just one plant. So I tried again this year, but we have not been very lucky. We got only one Ash Gourd so far, barely 1kg (2lb). Plant isn’t looking healthy at all to produce any more. I think it has to do with the seedling that we purchased this time, and may be that we palnted it in a smaller growbed.
I am starting to realize the importance of seed saving and sharing than always depending on external sources.
One of the bittle gourd plants in our aquaponic growbed made it onto the vegetable net spread ontop of the chicken enclosure.
I have posted about the three in one chicken enclosure earlier https://greens.farm/2015/10/12/three-in-one-chicken-fish-passion-fruit/
This was designed for passion fruit, but bottle gourd grows too long to hold between the vegetable net and the roof of the enclosure. So had to harvest it early.